For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 05/16/1978
NRHP Listing Date 05/24/1979
NRHP Reference Number 79003080
On a tree-shaded knoll on the edge of Lexington in Rockbridge County, the solidly proportioned, five-bay Stone House shows the influence of the Georgian architecture of eastern Virginia. As recorded on a date stone, this limestone house was constructed for Zachariah Johnston in 1797 by John Spear, a little known but obviously skilled builder. Johnston served as a member of the Virginia convention to ratify the U. S. Constitution in 1788, a presidential elector, and a member of the Virginia House of Delegates, where he was chairman of the standing committee on religion and demonstrated his strong advocacy of religious freedom. The Stone House, which has undergone few changes, was restored in 1965-66 under the direction of Thomas W. S. Craven. A modern passageway connects the main section to the original kitchen outbuilding. The front porch of the Stone House, with its chamfered posts, replaced an earlier porch around 1900.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: June 21, 2022