For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 09/17/2009
NRHP Listing Date 12/03/2009
NRHP Reference Number 09001049
The Willson House is a refined and well-preserved plantation residence that features elements of Georgian and Federal-style architecture. It was built in 1812 for Robert and Elizabeth Willson along the Lexington and Covington Turnpike in Rockbridge County. An important local architectural landmark, the property is also significant for its association during the 20th century with Ruth Anderson McCulloch (1876-1971), a principal founder of the Rockbridge Historical Society, which developed out of a meeting held in the house. McCulloch was also a founder of the Blue Ridge Garden Club and active in the local chapter, now named in her honor, of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (now Preservation Virginia).
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: March 4, 2022