A leading historic farm in a region of fine farms, Inglewood occupies a commanding site just north of Harrisonburg in Rockingham County. The property was purchased in 1818 by Robert Gray, a Harrisonburg attorney. Gray built Inglewood’s residence ca. 1849-51 for his younger son Douglas on the occasion of his marriage to Isabella Pinckney, daughter of the diplomat William Pinckney. With its gable roof and regular five-bay façade, the double-pile brick house recalls the Federal dwellings of earlier decades. A full complement of outbuildings and farm buildings reinforces an air of agrarian prosperity. In 1876 Inglewood was purchased by Confederate Gen. John E. Roller, for his parents. Margaret Grattan Weaver, a granddaughter of Gen. Roller, and her late husband James M. Weaver, purchased the estate from Lucy Cabot Roller in 1945. During a subsequent renovation remarkable antebellum folk-carved mantels from a Roller house in Harrisonburg were installed in Inglewood.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark