On the South Fork of the Shenandoah River in eastern Rockingham County, the grid-plan village of Port Republic was founded in 1802 and became a booming river port. It served as the shipping point for the agricultural and industrial products of the upper Shenandoah River section of Rockingham County until the 1890s when the railroad was built east of town. Through the town’s collection of 19th-century vernacular buildings and its numerous archaeological sites can be traced the community’s growth and decline. Port Republic gave its name to a Civil War battle, the conclusion of Stonewall Jackson’s Valley campaign, fought just to the north of town. Today the Rockingham community preserves an open, almost rural quality with houses and outbuildings sprinkled among large lots. The most imposing structure, the Dundore House (pictured above), is a 1760s log structure with a Federal-period brick section and still later stocky Doric portico.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark