Cave Hill Farm, consisting of about 158 acres in Rockingham County, centers on an impressive two-story brick residence, constructed around 1847. In 1868, the property came into the possession of Gerard T. Hopkins, a farmer, merchant, manufacturer, and proprietor of the Rockingham Springs resort located at the foot of nearby Massanutten Mountain. The Cave Hill house features Federal and Greek Revival architectural details, an entry porch supported by thick brick columns covered with stucco into which are set marble statues that were given to Hopkins to settle a hotel bill. The site also includes a circa-1870 bank barn of heavy timber-frame construction that was erected on the stone basement of an earlier barn burned down by Federal forces during the Civil War.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark