Massanetta Springs Historic District belongs to the great tradition of Virginia springs resorts and camp meetings. Originally known as Taylor’s Springs, the Rockingham County site was used for Methodist meeting camps beginning in 1816; it was developed as a resort after Evan Henton purchased the springs in 1848. Most of the district’s buildings date to the early 20th century, including the hotel, a three-story mansard-roofed building opened in 1910, and the 1922 Hudson Memorial Auditorium, a 900-seat open-air tabernacle. The auditorium was erected for the Massanetta Springs Summer Bible Conference Encampment, affiliated with the Presbyterian Synod of Virginia, which hosted thousands of people every summer for Bible conferences, sacred music festivals, folk festivals, and other events. The property includes Camp Massanetta, a complex of over two dozen Rustic/Modernist cabins, lodges, and other buildings built in 1955–56 to a design by Minneapolis architect W. Glen Wallace.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark