Kyle’s Mill House, located southeast of Harrisonburg in Rockingham County, includes a mid- to late-18th-century log dwelling with later additions, the foundations of a dairy and mill, and 277 acres of pastureland that have been a part of the farm since the mid-1700s. John Stevenson, a Scots-Irish immigrant to the Shenandoah Valley, most likely constructed the original log section of the present dwelling sometime between 1741 and 1783. Around 1750, Stevenson built a mill on the property that was still in use in 1866 according to a map of the county printed that year. The house received additions in 1826 and 1903, creating an L-shaped structure typical of many houses that have evolved over more than two centuries in the Shenandoah Valley.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark