Russell County’s Pucketts Hole Bridge, constructed in 1889, is likely the oldest remaining public bridge in the Virginia Department of Transportation’s Bristol District, which encompasses more than 7,400 miles of roads in 12 counties, according to VDOT records. The steel Pratt through-truss structure, formerly known as Blackford Bridge, is an unusually old example of this type of bridge to have survived with its original design and materials still intact. The Blackford Bridge spans the Clinch River. Originally it served as a key link between the mountain towns of Blackford and Honaker, but in 1946 it was relocated—a common practice with bridges at that time—from Blackford to Pucketts Hole.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark