The Castlerun Historic District is a collection of early 20th-century public buildings that represent a way of life that is vanishing in our ever-changing rural landscapes. The two primary buildings of the district, the circa 1895 Castlerun School and the 1924 Castle Run Missionary Baptist Church, capture the essence of the rugged mountainous Russell County community of Castlerun in far southwest Virginia. The two gable-fronted frame buildings served the spiritual, educational, and social needs of this isolated community located among the small farms and forested hillsides of Castle Run Creek. The one-room weatherboarded schoolhouse closed in 1951 when a new bus route took the children to a 12-room elementary school in nearby Castlewood. The church was updated in the 1950s.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark