085-0007

Hupp House

VLR Listing Date

12/04/1996

NRHP Listing Date

02/21/1997

NRHP Reference Number

97000155

The Hupp House, also known as the Hupp Homestead or Frontier Fort, was likely built as early as 1755, presumably by Peter Hupp, a settler of German extraction who came to Shenandoah County from Pennsylvania. The house has been the property of the Hupp family to the present. With its limestone construction, hillside site, two-room plan, and center chimney, the house has the essential features of the plain Germanic-type houses erected by the region’s earliest settlers. Such houses are rare and important relics of the Shenandoah Valley’s ethnic German community. Considerable action took place in the vicinity of the Hupp House during the Civil War but the house escaped unscathed. George Hupp, Jr. and his brother served under Gen. “Stonewall” Jackson. A masonry block wing was added to the house in 1956. Later stucco was removed from the stonework in 1995.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form

269-5003

Shenvalee Golf Resort

Shenandoah (County)

085-0292

Burner-Gearing Farm

Shenandoah (County)

085-0245

Funkhouser Farm

Shenandoah (County)