Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

085-0103 Meems Bottom Covered Bridge

Meems Bottom Covered Bridge
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 04/15/1975

NRHP Listing Date 06/10/1975

NPS property number 75002037

Constructed in 1893-94, this 200-foot single-span structure, crossing the Shenandoah River, is the longest of the Commonwealth’s handful of remaining covered bridges. Probably constructed by John W. V. Woods for F. H. Wisler, the bridge is approached from the east by a tree-lined axial avenue across the flat fields of Meems Bottom from whence the bridge derives its name. The structural system employed is a Burr arch-truss or king-post arch system, which consists of two great wooden arches spanning the full distance between the abutments. The bridge was damaged by fire in 1976, but the structural timbers survived with only charring. The frame was extensively repaired and strengthened, and recovered with roofing and weatherboards by the Virginia Department of Transportation, allowing the bridge to be returned to limited use.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018