The refinement that colonial builders could impart to even the smallest plantation dwellings is demonstrated in Melville, an engaging but otherwise simple hall/parlor house in the Surry County countryside. Setting the compact dwelling apart from its more humble contemporaries are its detailing and brickwork. The clipped gable roof and the decorative chevron pattern with the glazed headers on the gable ends were treatments usually reserved for more pretentious houses of the period. Melville was originally the home of Nicholas Faulcon, who likely built the house soon after he inherited the property from his brother in 1727. The Faulcons held the place into the 19th century; its designation as Melville first appeared in 1812.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark