The Wythe County Poorhouse Farm is the only surviving facility of its type in Wythe County. The nine-acre parcel contains the heart of Wythe County’s second poor farm, which operated from 1858 to 1957. Included in this complex are the overseer’s house, eight pauper dwellings, and five contributing outbuildings. In accordance with Virginia law, Wythe County in 1825 established its first poorhouse farm “and work house for receipt of poor of the county and for reforming vagrants.” After abandoning its first poorhouse farm, the county established the second poorhouse farm on 340 acres just east of Wytheville. The officials provided food, shelter, and medical care for the poor, infirm, and homeless. In an undisturbed setting with its core buildings intact, the farm continues to tell the important story of a century of Wythe County’s care for its most unfortunate citizens.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia