On the banks of the New River in Wythe County, this Indian site was occupied during the Late Woodland Period (A.D. 900-1600). Test excavations on the Martin Site have established the presence of an Indian village, probably consisting of a cluster of domelike structures and perhaps enclosed by a palisade. Evidence of a succession of earlier occupations is preserved in the stratigraphy beneath the village remains. Artifacts found on the site include pottery sherds, stone tools, ceramic and shell trade items, and floral and faunal remains. A rare shell gorget is among the most interesting items to have been unearthed.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark