099-0012

Kiskiack

VLR Listing Date

09/09/1969

NRHP Listing Date

11/12/1969

NRHP Reference Number

69000287

Named for the Kiskiack tribe of Virginia Indians, this building is among the earliest documented works of vernacular architecture in the Commonwealth. The even spacing of its bays is a demonstration of the regularity that was to become a hallmark of colonial design. Although claims have been made for a 17th-century date, the house more likely was built in the early decades of the succeeding century for William Lee, who owned the property from 1696 to 1728. Lee was the grandson of the immigrant Henry Lee who patented the land in 1641. The house burned in 1915 and only the Flemish-bond brick walls and the T-shaped chimneys are original. Rebuilt within the walls, the house remained a Lee home until 1918 when the surrounding land was acquired by the U. S. Navy for a high-security military installation. Now inaccessible to the public, the house has been sealed up for long-term preservation.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form

099-5091

Oak Grove Baptist Church Historic District

York (County)

099-5241

Colonial National Historical Park

James City (County)

047-0002

Colonial National Historical Park — Colonial Parkway

James City (County)