Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

047-0002 Colonial National Historical Park--Colonial Parkway

Colonial National Historical Park--Colonial Parkway
*Click on image to enlarge.

Nomination Form PDF

NRHP Listing Date 10/15/1966

NPS property number 66000839

The Colonial Parkway, part of Colonial National Historical Park located on the Virginia’s James-York peninsula, is a National Park Service scenic parkway constructed by the National Park Service and the Bureau of Public Roads between 1931 and 1958. Originally constructed to link the three historic sites of Yorktown, Williamsburg, and Jamestown, the district encompasses 21.44 miles of road from the parking lot at the Yorktown Visitor Center to the parking lot of the Jamestown Visitor Center. The Colonial Parkway was designed and constructed as a curvilinear, scenic route with expansive views over both the York and James Rivers. The entire length of the Colonial Parkway possesses extraordinary integrity to the period of its construction.
[Colonial Parkway Unit Additional Documentation: NRHP Approved 7/9/2001]


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated October 14, 2018