The village of York, on the York River near Wormeley Creek, was established before 1635. It remained the area’s principal community until the early 1690s when Yorktown was established two miles west. A church was built at York ca. 1638 and within its walls in 1655 was buried Maj. William Gooch, a burgess from York County and uncle of Sir William Gooch, acting governor of the colony. Maj. Gooch’s armorial slab is one of the oldest legible tombstones in Virginia. The village was abandoned by the late 18th century, and ultimately disappeared. The church site is marked by a small park maintained by the U. S. Coast Guard with the tombstone protected by a special cover. The village site likely holds significant archaeological material relating to Virginia’s 17th-century settlement.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia
Copyright © 2023. All Rights Reserved | Website by CURE