The Old Dominion Bank was incorporated in 1851 to serve various businesses connected with Alexandria’s port. The bank’s temple-form headquarters, conveniently located among the homes of the city’s leading merchants, was completed in 1852 by B. H. Jenkins, carpenter, and Emanuel Francis, bricklayer. From 1870 until 1905 it housed the Citizens National Bank. Converted to a warehouse and later a church, the building was restored as an exhibition gallery for the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association and renamed the Athenaeum. The compact structure is a superlative application of the Greek Revival style to a small commercial building. During a late 20th century renovation it was discovered that the formerly smooth Doric columns were originally fluted and were thusly restored. The Old Dominion Bank Building contributes to the Alexandria Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark