The largest early-19th-century bank building in the state, the Bank of Alexandria was built in 1803-07 and symbolized the importance of Alexandria as a commercial center. The bank company was established in 1792 with George Washington among its charter stockholders. After the bank failed in 1834, the building was used as a post office from 1845 to 1848, then as a hotel wing, later as a Union hospital, and finally as an apartment house. Despite changes in function, the building has survived with a surprising amount of original fabric. The exterior is embellished with fine carved stone detailing including an arched entry, window lintels, and intricate cornice. The first floor retains Adam-style window casings, doors, and mantels. The building, located in the Alexandria Historic District, was restored in the late 1970s, returning it to use as a bank with apartments occupying the cashier’s quarters on the upper floors.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark