For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 05/13/1969
NRHP Listing Date 11/12/1969
NRHP Reference Number 69000333
Alexandria’s celebrated colonial mansion was completed in 1753 as the home of John Carlyle, a Scottish merchant who was a founding trustee of the city. Influenced by the compact early Georgian manor houses of Scotland, the Carlyle House is built of stone and employs a somewhat austere classicism. In Carlyle’s handsome paneled parlor, Gen. Edward Braddock met with the governors of five colonies in April 1755, to plan the early campaigns against the French and the Indians. Though located in the heart of the Alexandria Historic District, the house was long hidden by a hotel built across its front. Demolition of the hotel and restoration of the Carlyle House as a museum were undertaken as a bicentennial project by the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: June 9, 2022