The aristocratic Fairfax-Moore House in the Alexandria Historic District is a classic example of an 18th-century Georgian, side-passage town house. With its three stories and rear ell, it exemplifies the type of residence enjoyed by the city’s most affluent citizens. Constructed on a lot originally owned by George William Fairfax, the Fairfax-Moore House is part of the city’s finest block of dwellings. The building date is uncertain; the main portion may have been built by Capt. John Harper in the 1780s. The Fairfax-Moore House at 207 Prince Street was the home of Alexandria historian and preservationist Gay Montague Moore from 1919 until her death in 1988. Mrs. Moore’s rescue of the deteriorated house signaled the beginning of the preservation movement in Alexandria. Her attention to this and many of the other historic and architectural resources of Alexandria contributed to the surrounding historic district’s being named a National Historic Landmark in 1966.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark