Its regular proportions, Flemish-bond brickwork, and refined detailing make the Lloyd House on Washington Street one of the Alexandria Historic District‘s most admired and sophisticated statements of late Georgian architecture. The formal five-bay façade of the Lloyd House is accented by an elegant pedimented doorway with traceried lunette, a feature reserved for the city’s finest dwellings. John Wise, a local businessman, built the house ca. 1797 and sold it in 1810 to Jacob Hoffman, one of the city’s mayors. Local educator Benjamin Hallowell operated a school in the house from 1826 to 1828. In 1832 it was sold to John Lloyd, whose family owned it until 1918. The Lloyd House was twice saved from threatened demolition by the Historic Alexandria Foundation. In 1968 it was acquired by the city for preservation and was restored for use by the Alexandria Library. Today it houses the office of Historic Alexandria and the Alexandria Historic Restoration and Preservation Commission.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark