This section of modern-day western Alexandria includes most of the former town of Potomac, consisting of six subdivisions—Del Ray, Del Ray II, St. Elmo, Abingdon, Hume and parts of Mt. Vernon. St. Elmo and Del Ray, platted in 1894 by Ohio developers Wood and Harmon, were incorporated in 1908 to form the town. The Town Of Potomac Historic District exemplifies an early planned suburban community intended to serve commuters along railroad and trolley lines. Most of the area’s ensuing growth was based on transportation expansion. Many of the residents were government employees who regularly commuted to Washington. Others worked at the nearby Potomac Yards, a primary railroad switching facility, and walked to work. Potomac flourished as an independent town until it was annexed by the city of Alexandria in 1930. A representation of generally modest residential architecture from the 1890s to 1941 survives. Several houses are mail-order structures.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia