Beulah Baptist Church in the Alexandria Historic District is listed in the registers under the African American Historic Resources of Alexandria multiple property documentation form. The church is associated with African Americans for education and both social and religious civic developments. It was the first church organized in Alexandria after Federal troops occupied the city in 1861 and was the first contraband school that the church’s founding members formed. Built in 1863, the Beulah Baptist Church is a front gable, freestanding brick building located at 320 South Washington Street on the edge of “the Bottoms,” a historically African American neighborhood.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark