The George Lewis Seaton House is listed under the multiple property documentation form for African American Historic Resources of Alexandria. The two-story brick dwelling at 404 South Royal Street was constructed between 1861 and 1866 and modified substantially about 1900. Born free in Alexandria in 1822, George Seaton is best known as a master carpenter and builder of houses and civic buildings there during the 1850s and 1860s. He also managed a thriving grocery store near the center of town. An outspoken Radical Republican after the Civil War, Seaton in 1869 was selected the first African American member of the Virginia General Assembly from north of the Rappahannock River. He also served as head trustee of the First Free School Society of Alexandria, constructed two schools for African American children, was a founder of the Colored Building Association and the Colored YMCA, and constructed the Odd Fellows Hall. The George Lewis Seaton House contributes to the Alexandria Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark