The most identifiable landmark of the twin cities of Bristol, Virginia and Bristol, Tennessee is the large electric slogan sign spanning the state line on State Street. Constructed of structural steel, the Bristol Virginia–Tennessee Slogan Sign measures 60 x 35 feet and weighs two and one-half tons. It was donated in 1910 by Henry L. Dougherty, head of Dougherty and Company of New York, owner of Bristol’s electric company. It originally was placed atop the Virginia-Tennessee Hardware Co. building but was relocated to its present site in 1915. In 1921 the slogan was changed from “Push! . . . That’s Bristol” to “Bristol . . . A Good Place to Live.” The Bristol Virginia–Tennessee Slogan Sign was restored in 1982 and remains a much-admired expression of civic pride for two cities with a special common history.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia