The Inge Store is one of the oldest remaining buildings on what was a rural “Three Notched Road” leading from the town of Charlottesville to the University of Virginia. The building was constructed circa 1820, and it served as a parsonage for the Charlottesville Methodist Church from 1840 until default of payment forced its sale two years later. It was converted from a residence to a store about ten years later. At the time of its listing in the registers, the building had been in the Pitts family since 1890. The Pitts-Inge Store contributes to Charlottesville’s West Main Street Historic District.
The buildings and districts listed under the Charlottesville Multiple Resource Area nomination represent a cross section of all the city’s historic periods, from the founding of Charlottesville in the 1760s through the advent of the automobile and the impact it had on the city’s expansion. Also included are buildings that have played an important part in the history of Charlottesville’s black community. The Pitts-Inge Store was listed in the registers under the Charlottesville MRA without a formal nomination document.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark