Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

104-0057 Albemarle County Courthouse Historic District

Albemarle County Courthouse Historic District
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 01/18/1972

NRHP Listing Date 06/30/1972

NPS property number 72001503

The principal feature of this compact quarter is Court Square, a focus of county activity since it was laid out in 1762. In the early 1800s it was not unusual to see Thomas Jefferson conversing here with James Madison and James Monroe. On the square is the county courthouse of 1803 which also served originally as a community church where Jefferson sometimes attended services. Around the square sprang up mid-19th-century law offices, residences, and taverns among which are the former Swan Tavern and the former Eagle Tavern. The 1851 Classical Revival town hall was purchased by Jefferson M. Levy, the then owner of Monticello, and converted into the Levy Opera House in 1887. Next to the courthouse is the equestrian statue of “Stonewall” Jackson, unveiled in 1921. Except for the multi-storied Monticello Hotel building, the district maintains a consistent scale and architectural harmony.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018