For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 10/20/1981
NRHP Listing Date 08/10/1983
NPS property number 83003275 (No formal nomination)
The Turner-LaRowe House was built in 1892 by Mary P. Turner on what was then a five acre tract. The property was purchased in 1913 by John S. LaRowe, then the boxing coach at the University of Virginia. This impressive house is a fine example of Queen Anne Victorian style. At the time of its listing, it had been in use as a rental property with five apartments for over forty years.
The buildings and districts listed under the Charlottesville Multiple Resource Area nomination represent a cross section of all the City’s historic periods, from the founding of Charlottesville in the 1760’s through the advent of the automobile and the impact it had on the City’s expansion. Also included are buildings that have played an important part in the history of Charlottesville’s black community. The Turner-LaRowe House was listed in the registers under the Charlottesville MRA without a formal nomination document.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated November 20, 2018