The Langhorne House is the birthplace of Lady Nancy Langhorne Astor, the first woman to sit in the British Parliament. Lady Astor’s homecoming visit to Danville in 1922 was a celebrated event in the city’s history. The original section of the two-story Italianate house was built in the 1870s for Lady Astor’s parents, Nancy and C. D. Langhorne, and it was here that Astor was born in 1879. She married Waldorf Astor, heir to one of the world’s largest fortunes, and was elected to the House of Commons in 1919 to fill a seat vacated when her husband moved to the House of Lords. In 1921, her birthplace was converted to apartments and given a Classical Revival front porch, from which Astor addressed a crowd of 5,000 people on May 5, 1922, during an American tour to promote women’s causes and the Anglo-American relationship. Astor’s emotionally charged visit was reported in newspapers nationwide. The house is also associated with the early life of Astor’s sister Irene Langhorne Gibson, the model for her husband Charles Dana Gibson’s artistic creation “The Gibson Girl.” The property is now partially dedicated to interpreting the lives of Astor and Gibson.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia