The turn-of-the-century architectural movement termed the American Renaissance endowed cities and towns with grand classical works that lend a strong sense of continuity and place. A relatively late but nonetheless effective expression of this movement is the Danville Municipal Building, a tour de force of civic stagecraft. Fronted by a monumental Ionic colonnade and closing a vista on a tight site amid relatively narrow streets, the building exudes a European urbanity. It was designed by the local firm of Heard and Chesterman and completed in 1927. The project was generated by a desire to consolidate expanded municipal offices with court facilities. No less imposing is the interior, the corridors and principal rooms of which are a bold display of columns, pilasters, and other classical details. The Danville Municipal Building now houses only municipal offices, and it is located in the Downtown Danville Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark