Recalling Danville’s former role as a world textile-manufacturing powerhouse, Dan River Mill No. 8 was built by Dan River, Inc. in 1920 and operated from 1921 through to the 1990s. Encompassing 18-plus acres on the south bank of the Dan River, the mill was designed in a simplified Gothic Revival architectural style. The five-story mill is among the few left standing of the numerous mill buildings in the Riverside Division, most of which were demolished in the first decade of the 21st century. Also known as the “White Mill,” the building is an important reminder of the textile industry’s contribution to the economic development of Danville and Virginia’s Southside region.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark