Located in the Schoolfield area of Danville, Hylton Hall was constructed in 1918 to serve as a dormitory for single female workers of The Riverside & Dan River Cotton Mills Inc., which grew to be one of the largest cotton mills in the country by the early 20th century after starting operations in 1882. A six-story Classical Revival building, Hylton Hall offered a dining facility, social hall, and recreation center, amenities that reflected the democratic spirit that motivated the management of Dan River Mills in developing its workforce and housing in Schoolfield, a company town developed under the company’s president H. R. Fitzgerald between 1903 and 1918. Although the death of Fitzgerald in 1931 led to the demise of the concept of “Industrial Democracy” that he espoused, the hall continued as a residential facility until 1948 when it was converted to offices.
Hylton Hall has been demolished, after the vacant building was severely damaged by fire set by an arsonist in 2012.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia