Village View

VLR Listing Date


NRHP Listing Date


NRHP Reference Number


Surrounded by spacious, park-like grounds, Village View is the city of Emporia’s outstanding example of Federal architecture. The imposing house features a refined main stair, richly ornamented mantels, and unusual scrollwork decoration in the main entry fanlight and sidelights. Village View was built in the 1790s for James Wall, member of a prominent local family. It was purchased in the 1820s from Wall’s heirs by Nathaniel Land who made improvements to the house prior to his marriage to Maria Pendleton Woodlief in 1830. The house served as a Confederate headquarters during the Civil War; generals W. H. F. Lee, Wade Hampton, and Matthew Butler met in the parlor. After the war William Henry Briggs operated a boys’ academy on the property. In 1986 Village View was donated by the Briggs family to the Village View Foundation, which has since restored the house for public exhibition and use.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form


Belfield-Emporia Historic District

Emporia (Ind. City)


Greensville County Training School

Emporia (Ind. City)


Hicksford-Emporia Historic District

Emporia (Ind. City)