VLR Listing Date 06/21/2018
St. George’s Episcopal Church was constructed in 1849. It was the third church building erected on a lot designated for a church originally on a plat of Fredericksburg that the House of Burgesses approved in 1727. With its tall steeple clock that has operated consistently since 1851, the church, located next to city government buildings and the historic market square, is a landmark building at the center of town. An important example of Romanesque Revival style in the Fredericksburg Historic District, the church is also the only Romanesque building in Virginia designed by renowned Baltimore architect Robert Cary Long, Jr. During the Civil War, after the First Battle of Fredericksburg in 1862 and the Battle of the Wilderness in 1864, the church functioned as a hospital.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated October 18, 2018