Walker-Grant School, originally known as the Fredericksburg Colored School, was the first and only segregated African American secondary school in the city of Fredericksburg. Built in 1935 according to plans and elevation drawings from the Virginia Department of Education, the building originally housed the grammar school. Enlarged in 1938 and 1940 to include a high school, Walker-Grant School is a fine example of a well-preserved school from the Great Depression era. Long identified as a local landmark by the city’s African American community, the school has gone on to serve as a cultural center for young people in the community.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark