One of the early landmarks of the town of Front Royal in Warren County, Rose Hill was built as a center-passage single-pile frame farmhouse in 1830 for George C. Blakemore and his wife Elizabeth. A brick ell was added in 1845, after the property was conveyed to Elizabeth Blakemore’s cousin, William Richardson. The house was modernized in a 1937 remodeling, which included the stuccoing of the exterior. The property was caught in the crossfire of the considerable Civil War activity in the area. It served as a Confederate headquarters during the 1862 battle of Front Royal. In 1864 it became a Confederate hospital and was later pillaged by Union troops who destroyed the farm buildings and stole the livestock. Although now in a residential neighborhood, Rose Hill still retains an eight-acre yard, along with its many historical associations.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark