For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 02000526
A. G. Pless House is a two-story wood-frame residence located on old U.S. Route 58 that embodies the characteristics of the Colonial Revival style of the early 20th century. Its style was clearly influenced by house precedents in Colonial Williamsburg, which was being developed when the Pless house was built in 1939. The house was carefully detailed by Winston-Salem architect William Roy Wallace with box cornices, beaded frieze boards, carved modillion blocks, simple rakeboards, beaded weatherboards, and copper ogee built-in gutters. Wallace became known for his expertise in designing residences in the colonial style during the first half of the 20th century.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018