Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

119-0009 Lincoln Theatre

Lincoln Theatre
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 10/21/1992

NRHP Listing Date 12/17/1992

NPS property number 92001710

The Lincoln Theatre is a rare relic of the exotic 1920s movie-palace fad as adapted for a small-town cinema. Built in 1929, its interior employs an unexpected Mayan-style theme for its decoration. Three-dimensional appliques and stenciled Mayan designs of gods, animals, mythological creatures, and Mayan calligraphy embellish the walls and ceiling. Equally striking, but bearing no relation to the Mayan idiom, are six large murals depicting scenes from American and local history. The 750-seat theater was built by Charles C. Lincoln, Sr., Marion’s wealthiest resident. The interior was designed by the Novelty Scenic Studios of New York City. The Lincoln originally offered first-run films and vaudeville acts, and served as a regional meeting place. Closed 1977, it was purchased in 1988 by The Lincoln Theater Foundation, which plans to restore the theater for a regional cultural center.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018