Designed by Eubank and Caldwell of Roanoke, the Hotel Lincoln in the Smyth County town of Marion was completed in 1927 and is one of Southwest Virginia’s few early-20th-century hotels to continue operation since opening. It was named for Charles Clark Lincoln, a well-to-do Marion citizen, who developed the project in partnership with Dr. William M. Sclater. The hotel took advantage of the influx of travelers brought about by the construction of the Lee Highway (U.S. Route 11). Though built for a small town, Hotel Lincoln had the quality of an urban hostelry, being outfitted with a drugstore, coffee shop, beauty salon, and barber shop. Its reception rooms offered space for public and private meetings. Its guest rooms were equipped with private baths and telephones. The Georgian Revival exterior conformed to the latest architectural fashion. A late-20th-century renovation of the Hotel Lincoln has ensured its continued service.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark