The site of the first Denbigh Parish Church is the earliest datable ecclesiastical site within the former Warwick County, now the city of Newport News. Constructed before 1635 and taking its name from the nearby Denbigh plantation, the church served the inhabitants of what was the upper portion of Elizabeth City Corporation, later Warwick County, in the earliest days of the colony. The church foundations, located and identified in a test square by archaeologists of the Department of Historic Resources, make up one of the few non-domestic 17th-century archaeological sites within a rapidly urbanizing area. Complete excavation of the First Denbigh Parish Church Archaeological Site could shed new light some of the nation’s earliest church architecture.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark