Christ Church was constructed in 1828, a year after its predecessor was destroyed in a fire. This sophisticated Classical Revival building was used by Norfolk’s oldest Episcopal congregation until 1910, at which time it merged with St. Luke’s Church, and a new Christ and St. Luke’s Church building was constructed at Stockley Gardens. Christ Church then served as the home of a Greek Orthodox congregation until 1955. For a few years it continued in use as the House of Prayer for All People, one of 350 disciple churches of Sweet Daddy Grace, a famed African American revivalist, who amassed a following of 3 million people by the time of his death in 1960. The church was purchased that year by the Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority, which, after failing to find a buyer who would restore the building, demolished Christ Church in January of 1973.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark