For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
See link(s) below to view additional documentation.
VLR Listing Date 03/20/1979
NRHP Listing Date 06/18/1979
NPS property number 79003286; AD79003286
Its traceried windows, elaborate detailing, pinnacled tower, and interior carvings combine to make Christ and St. Luke’s Church one of the state’s purest expressions of the Late Gothic Revival, an architectural movement fostered by the Boston architect Ralph Adams Cram. As are many churches of the movement, this example is a skillful adaptation of the English Perpendicular style. A notable interior feature is the carved reredos containing statues of dignitaries of the Episcopal Church. The congregation traces its ancestry to the Elizabeth River Parish, whose first church dated from 1637. Erected as Christ Church in 1909-10, the present edifice is effectively placed at the head of Smith’s Creek in Norfolk’s Ghent neighborhood. Its architects, Watson and Huckle of Philadelphia, were experts in the scholarly interpretation of medieval English styles so popular with affluent early 20th century congregations.
Additional documentation was accepted by the National Register in 2019 that updated the period of significance from 1910, when the church was built, to 1952, when the Lloyd Hall addition was completed. This update documents the 2007 demolition of a two-story Craftsman building on the church property, called the Guild House, that had served as a bookstore and church office, and it clearly describes the surviving Parish House.
[NRHP Accepted: 4/23/2019]
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 29, 2019