Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

123-0039 Blandford Church

Blandford Church
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 04/18/1972

NRHP Listing Date 05/31/1972

NPS property number 72001513

Petersburg’s oldest building, Blandford Church was built by Thomas Ravenscroft in 1734-37 as the principal church of Bristol Parish. Its north wing and the brick wall surrounding the original burying ground were added between 1752 and 1770 by Col. Richard Bland, undertaker. The church was largely abandoned after a new church was built on Courthouse Hill in 1802. It fell into ruins, but its handsome Flemish-bond brick walls survived relatively unharmed. Around the ruins was developed Blandford Cemetery, a large municipal graveyard. In 1901 the city council authorized the Petersburg Ladies’ Memorial Association to restore the building as a monument to the Confederate dead. As part of the restoration, the association commissioned Louis Comfort Tiffany to design stained glass windows for each state of the Confederacy. This collection of Tiffany glass, including a special window donated by Tiffany, is one of Virginia’s artistic treasures.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018