Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

123-0110 Blandford Cemetery

Blandford Cemetery
*Click on image to enlarge.

Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 04/22/1992

NRHP Listing Date 10/15/1992

NPS property number 92001371

One of Virginia’s most important historic cemeteries, Blandford reflects the long history of Petersburg and surrounding counties. Centered around the colonial Blandford Church, where burials date from 1702, the cemetery is now the third largest in Virginia after Arlington and Hollywood. Two Virginia governors, a Revolutionary War British general, three Confederate generals, and 30,000 Confederate dead are buried here. Its collection of decorative fences and gates, in both cast and wrought iron, is the finest in the state. Much of the ironwork was produced by unknown artisans, but some can be traced to firms such as Barnes in Richmond, Wickersham in New York, and Wood and Perot in Philadelphia. The gravestones are a collection of sculpture in sandstone, slate, marble, and granite. The wide variety of monuments trace changing attitudes toward death and mourning. Flowers, angels, and lilies are the favorite Victorian symbols here.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018