For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 00000891
Peabody Building of the Peabody-Williams School, designed by Charles M. Robinson, a prolific architect of educational facilities across the state, opened in 1920 as the public high school for African American students in Petersburg. It was built during the period of segregated school systems. The Peabody Building housed the high school, while its twin, the Williams Building (destroyed by fire in 1967), housed the junior high school. Titls was the third building in Petersburg to serve as a high school for African American students, and the first built exclusively as a high school. In 1950, a new facility was constructed and an elementary school occupied the building until the 1960s. Today, the Peabody Building is the oldest extant school in Petersburg built for the education of African American children.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated March 22, 2019