For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
See link(s) below to view additional documentation.
VLR Listing Date 12/02/1969
NRHP Listing Date 02/26/1970
NHL Listing Date 11/11/1971
NRHP Reference Number 70000862
Constructed of large blocks of Massachusetts granite with sides built up in a series of giant tiers, this impressive engineering work is one of the first two drydocks erected by the U.S. government. Begun in 1827 and completed in 1834, it remains in regular use at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, the nation’s oldest shipyard, established in 1767. Here the Confederate navy rebuilt the frigate Merrimac, which was renamed the Virginia and became the world’s first battle-tested ironclad ship. The overall length of the drydock is 319-1/2 feet. It remains as built except for the replacement of its caisson.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: February 19, 2021