The Pulaski Historic Residential District was platted along with the town’s commercial areas in 1884 and 1888 by the Pulaski Land and Improvement Company. The spacious neighborhood in the Pulaski County seat developed gradually and was not fully built out for several decades. By 1913 it had some 100 houses, and by the time of its listing in the registers, the district had over 350 houses. Accommodating both factory workers and factory managers, the fabric of the district is a graphic illustration of America’s craving for individual identity. Eschewing the uniformity that has characterized workers’ housing in many other countries, this neighborhood has remarkable diversity. Drawing from perhaps a dozen different stylistic influences, the houses vary in size, shape, use of materials, and ornament, all built over hardly more than a half century. Architectural highlights are provided by the Pulaski Historic Residential District’s eight churches.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark