Virginia State Seal Virginia Department of Historic Resources

126-0001 Harvey House

Harvey House
Photo credit: Wikipedia, 2013

*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 04/20/1976

NRHP Listing Date 07/30/1976

NRHP Reference Number 76002228

This demonstration of shingled walls binding curved and angled volumes is a powerful expression of the American Queen Anne style. The Harvey House was begun in 1892 during the industrial boom when Radford was laid out by the Radford Land Improvement Company. It was originally the residence of J. K. Dimmick, the company’s general manager. Although its designer is undocumented, Philadelphia architect Frank Miles Day was credited with a house in Radford in the Builder’s, Decorator’s, and Woodworker’s Guide (August, 1890). Day specialized in the Queen Anne style, thus it was speculated that the Harvey house was his Radford commission. However, more recently obtained information casts doubt on the attribution to Day and suggests that E.G.W. Dietrich (1857-1924), a native of Pittsburgh who relocated to New York City in 1886, was more likely the architect. The Panic of 1893 ended the land boom and Dimmick left town. In 1906 the house was purchased by Lewis Harvey, in whose family it has remained to the present. The interior of the Harvey House preserves richly detailed woodwork and many original finishes, all carefully preserved.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark


Updated: March 21, 2022