Halwyck served as the residence of Virginia governor James Hoge Tyler, who served from 1898-1902. Tyler’s political career also included a term as a state senator and as lieutenant governor. Built in 1892 on a prominent hill, the Queen Anne-style Halwyck captures the architectural aesthetic of the Late Victorian era with its projecting bays, porches, complex gables, and dormers. The interior retains original detailing, including light fixtures and floor treatments. Governor Tyler exemplified the entrepreneurial spirit of boom-town Radford. Gaining his wealth in coal and railroad business, he was nonetheless known as the “farmer’s friend” at the outset of his political career in 1877. Halwyck remains one of Radford’s most distinctive residences.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark